A newbie integrating a Fanuc robot into a workcell

Almost 2 years ago now, my company hired an integrator who was supposed to automate our CNC line (precision manufacturing plant) with a Fanuc robot. He was constantly late on deadlines and eventually we had to let him go. Unfortunately, due to our contract, we were left with the robot, tool carousel, and the PLC with everything hooked up. The integrator is also pretty upset at our company, so he is of no help at all.

Before this, I developed a way to dump inspection data from our Brown and Sharp CMM directly into both of our AGIE Charmille EDM’s. Because of this, and my ability to problem solve and to get things done, my boss tasked me with completing the job! I have no prior experience with automation. I have a mechanical engineering degree and I took a few classes where I learned PLC programming using Alan Bradly RSLogix.

Where we are:

S7-1500 PLC controlling the carousel (custom made)

Fanuc Robot M-710iC/50 (as far as I know, it could load/unload the carousel)

HMI on the PLC seems to be functioning

I am a complete newbie. I know PLC latter logic quite well… and that’s about it.

Can you guys recommend a path for me. I would like to get some training, but I’m not even sure what. As far as my training goes, my boss pretty much gave me a blank check. Any help you guys can provide would be beneficial

Thanks

Oleg