The routing algorithm was developed using RSLogix 5000 and run in SoftLogix5800 of version 13. Both these software tools are products of Rockwell Automation. To have a better understanding of the problem definition, algorithm, and results, some very general information about RSLogix5000 and SoftLogix5800 is included in this session
SoftLogix5800 is a soft controller and comes from the category of programmable automation controllers. The control functions written for the application are downloaded into a programmable controller. The SoftLogix controller encapsulates them in software and runs on operating system. We can develop our own custom programs in other programming languages to integrate via external routines.
The specific product used currently is 1789-L60/A SoftLogix5860 controller. The memory size for this soft controller is 3072KB. One can always choose the memory size that the application requires. It also consists of a built-in I/O simulation model for easier design and validation. The application can also be divided into tasks for structured program development. It is flexible/ scalable to build our own control system with functionality that will suit specific needs. A SoftLogix Chassis Monitor is shown below. The 16 slots can be filled in with various controllers downloaded with their respective programs.
The chassis monitor is the interface to the SoftLogix controller. We use the monitor to:
• Add and configure controllers
• Add and configure communication cards
• Add and configure motion cards
• Change processor mode
• Monitor controller and associated module status
• Monitor motion performance
Based on the requirements, we can define the chassis monitor with number of slots according to the user preference as shown in the figure below.
A SoftLogix controller is the software that is installed inside the computer. A computer to have SoftLogix should meet the following requirements.
• IBM-compatible Pentium 41.6 GHz
• 256 Kbytes of RAM
• 50 Mbytes hard disk space
RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series software is an IEC 61131-3 compliant software package that offers relay ladder, structured text, function block diagram, and sequential function chart editors for you to develop application programs .
• Instructions can be created by encapsulating a section of logic in any programming language into an add-on instruction.
• RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series software also includes axis configuration and programming support for motion control.
• With RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series software, only one software package for sequential, process, drive, motion control, and safety programming is required.
• The RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series environment offers an easy-to-use, IEC61131-3 compliant interface, symbolic programming with structures and arrays, and a comprehensive instruction set that serves many types of applications.
• It supports relay ladder, structured text, function block diagram, and sequential function chart editors for you to develop application programs.
PC Hardware Requirements: The client computer must have at least:
• a 600MHz or greater Intel Pentium® II, or Pentium-compatible microprocessor (1GHz or greater recommended)
• 256 MB of RAM (512 MB or more recommended)
• a CD-ROM drive
• 250 MB of free hard disk space (or more depending on application requirements)
• a 3.5-inch, 1.4MB disk drive (if using RSLogix 5000 professional for activation)
For various industrial applications, RSLogix5000 can be used to write logic to provide automated control.